Find out how to choose the correct driver for your LED strip lighting in these 5 simple steps below:
- Decide on the type and length of LED strip you require for your application.
- Calculate the total power (wattage) required to power the LED strip. E.g for a 2 meter length of a 9.6W/m strip, the total power it requires to operate is 2 x 9.6W = 19.2W. This means you require a 19.2W (or greater) driver.
- Match the voltage of the LED strip to the voltage of the power supply. E.g a 12V LED strip requires a 12V driver.
- Use the 'refine' side bar to narrow down your search for the correct wattage and any other requirements of the driver (e.g waterproof). In this example, you require a driver with a power rating above 19.2W.
- Choose either a plug in wall type or a hard wire driver. Plug in types are easy to install and can only be used indoors. Hard ware types must be installed by a qualified electrician and can be hidden from view behind your walls.
Now you have successfully chosen your power supply.
Please note: If you have a long wire in-between the hard wire driver and the LED strip, you may require a higher wattage driver.
- For different control / dimming options, please have a look at our LED controllers range.
- For single colour strip lengths greater than 10m or RGB colour strip lengths greater than 5m, you may require repeaters to avoid any voltage drop.
Feel free to contact our sales team for expert advice:
Ph: 09 414 1397
- February 24, 2015
- Sanna Li